Site Search




Amends to Dead
or Absent Person

It can be helpful to write a letter to ourselves stating the offense and how we plan to correct the behavior. We can express the desire for forgiveness if appropriate. This can also be done in the form of a prayer or by imagining ourselves talking to that person seated in a chair in front of us or going to a place where we feel close to the person. We can do a kindness to a person connected to the deceased or absent person and state this is a form of making amends for a past offense. If monetary restitution is necessary we can make a charitable contribution in the amount owed in the person’s name.  


2 Samuel 9:1
David asked, "Is there anyone still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for Jonathan's sake?" 


Psalm 32:1-5
Blessed is he
whose transgressions are forgiven,
whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man
whose sin the LORD does not count against him
and in whose spirit is no deceit.
When I kept silent,
my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was sapped
as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD "-
and you forgave
the guilt of my sin.